Improve Your Vocabulary In IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing
1 Verb + thing
Use the correct form of these verbs:
make need pack wash up
- We’ll have to stop at the supermarket. We _____________ a few basic things like bread and milk.
- My dad’s a sculptor. He _____________ things out of wood he finds on the beach.
- Peter, you haven’t _____________ the breakfast things yet. Do them before you go to school, please.
- _____________ your things. We’re leaving in 10 minutes.
accept look at make think turn out
- He’s not sure what he’s going to do, so he’s taken a few days off to _____________ things over.
- You should try to change the situation rather than _____________ things as they are.
- I don’t know if things are going to work out between John and me. => Don’t worry. I’m sure things will_____________ OK.
- You’re only _____________ things worse by ignoring her. I think you two need to talk things over.
- Try to _____________ things from my point of view for a change.
2 Do + thing
Match the halves of these situations:
- I’ll be late home tonight.
- Philip is definitely different!
- The phone never stops ringing!
- I’m sorry I’ve got to get on with some work.
- I know people who cheat in exams.
a That’s why it’s impossible to get things done.
b I’d never do a thing like that.
c Yes, he does have a funny way of doing things.
d I’ve got loads of things to do at work.
e I’ve got better things to do than stand chatting!
- I can’t get the video to work.
- I rang and told him what I thought of him!
- I wish I had listened to you!
- The Minister’s resigned!
- He asked me how much I earned.
f It’s just not the done thing to ask that.
g Good. It was the proper thing to do.
h Yes, it was a foolish thing to do.
i I would have done the same thing myself.
j I’ve done all the right things! I think it’s broken.
3 Verb + not + thing
Use the correct form of these verbs:
do eat miss say see
- I’m sorry, I can’t ___________ a thing without my specs. Could you read the menu out to me?
- I’m going to the party as early as I can. I don’t want to ___________ a thing.
- They have cheated you out of your money, but I’m afraid you can’t ___________ a thing about it.
- I’m absolutely starving. I haven’t ___________ a thing all day.
- I heard that Frank is losing his job. I haven’t ___________ a thing about it to anyone.
4 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives to complete the sentences:
bad funny good
last main slightest
- It’s a____________ thing you remembered to bring the bottle opener! I completely forgot!
- He’s easily upset. He loses his temper at the ____________ little thing.
- Too much exercise can be a ____________ thing. You can easily damage your body.
- The____________ thing in this type of situation is to remain calm.
- A ____________ thing happened to me on the way to work this morning.
- I only want to help you. The____________ thing I want to do is to make you unhappy.
1. Note the following common expressions:
Try not to let things get you down. Remember the saying, ‘Things can only get better!’
She offered to help me, but I assured her that I had things under control.
I demanded a meeting with the manager to get a few things straight.
2. Notice this expression:
Books may one day become a thing of the past
3. This expression is used when you make a mistake socially:
Oh, sorry, I’ve just said the wrong thing, haven’t I?
l need 2. makes 3. washed up 4. Pack 5. think
6 accept 7. turn out 8. making 9. look at
Ex 2: l-d 2-c 3-a 4-e 5-b 6-j 7-i 8-h 9-g 10-f
Ex 3: l. see 2. miss 3. do 4. eaten 5. said
Ex 4: l. good 2. slightest 3. bad 4. main 5. funny 6. last
TƯ VẤN LỘ TRÌNH HỌC MIỄN PHÍ:
HOẶC INBOX TRỰC TIẾP CHO FANPAGE: https://www.facebook.com/ieltsmasterhcm/
THÔNG TIN LIÊN HỆ
Cảm nhận học viên:
Group học tiếng anh cùng team mình:
Sáng: 8h00 - 12h00, Chiều: 1h30 - 5h00, Tối: 17h-21h30
CS 1 528 Phan Văn Trị, P.7, Q. Gò Vấp
CS 2: 4/34 Bạch Đằng, P24, Q. Bình Thạnh. TP.HCM
CS 3: 226/12/12 Nguyễn Văn Lượng, P.17, Q. Gò vấp
CS 4: 119/5 Phùng Tá Chu, P.An Lạc A, Q.Bình Tân.